70% of college students gain weight by graduation
Attending college can be stressful and taxing – often affecting students’ health and wellness. Researchers at Auburn University followed 131 students over four years of college and found that a whopping 70% gained weight by graduation (an average of 12, and up to 37 pounds). The overall percentage of students found to be overweight increased from 18% to 31%. The researchers noted gains in body fat composition and waist circumference.
IVC (iVein.com), the trusted leader in preventing and treating vein disease, understands the importance of learning and practicing healthy habits during the formative college years and is offering the iVein® Health and Wellness Scholarship to reward students who are committed to a lifetime of healthy habits.
How to Apply
Any pre-med student in sophomore or junior year attending Utah Valley University with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.4 is welcome to apply. Eligible students will:
- Write an essay of 800 to 1000 words, promoting a practical approach to healthy lifestyle during college years and how these habits can be sustained over a lifetime.
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of health and wellness and discuss why healthy living is a lifetime endeavor based on your personal experiences.
- Your essay should be in a word document or similar (pdf, Google Doc) file type with your first and last name in the document title.
- Forward their completed essay, documentation of GPA and full-time enrollment status to scholarship@iVein.com with “iVein UVU Scholarship” in the subject line on or before the listed deadline.
When Is The Deadline to Apply?
- Fall Semester: August 31st
Who is Eligible To Apply?
Any pre-med student in sophomore or junior year attending Utah Valley University with a cumulative GPA of 3.4 is welcome to apply.
Do I Have To Be Enrolled in Utah Valley University?
Yes. You must submit proof of full time enrollment status along with your essay. The scholarship funds will be sent directly to the financial aid office of the winning candidate’s institution.
What Are Acceptable Documents To Prove Enrollment Status and GPA?
An unofficial or official transcript. Make sure your name and your institution’s name is clearly visible on the document. Screenshots of GPA and class schedule will not be accepted.
One scholarship of $2,500 will be awarded annually. The scholarship winner will also be able to shadow a radiologist for a day. Recipients are only eligible to receive the scholarship once.
Selection Process and Notification
The IVC Scholarship Committee will review essays and supporting documentation and one winner will be declared for each academic semester. The winner will be selected within 3 weeks of the deadline date. Once the winner has been determined, he or she will be contacted by IVC and informed of the scholarship award. The scholarship funds will then be sent directly to the financial aid office of the winning candidates’ institution.
If you have any other questions or need more information, please email your questions to scholarship@iVein.com