Often times when we are talking to patients about closing down their problematic varicose veins we will get asked “are you sure you can close down those veins?” or “doesn’t my body need those veins, are you going to make things worse?”
When treating varicose veins we explain to patients that we are treating superficial veins and these veins only return 10% of the blood from the legs. The remaining 90% is returned through the deep system. We are not treating or closing down any deep veins, in addition, there are so many remaining superficial veins that are still working properly that we close down the problematic ones and improve symptoms in you legs.
Another question asked often is “What is the limit to how many veins you can close down without causing a problem?” That is a difficult question to answer, but so far we have not reached an upper limit in treating varicose veins where we would feel that treating anymore veins may create problems instead of solving them.